Thursday, November 4, 2010

Nature Literacy

In my mind nature literacy refers to environmental and ecological books, essays, etc. I also believe it can refer to any reference to the natural world and the environment made by an author. Personally, I believe that my generation is slowly becoming less and less nature literate. By this, I mean that as we progress through the 21st century, we are seeing more and more advances in technology, and, as a result, we are seeing differences in styles of writing. Nature Literacy hit its peak during the 1800's when such authors as Walt Whitman, Henry David Thoreau, and Ralph Waldo Emerson arose on to the literary scene. I believe also that technology is creating a less natural world. We have scene the rise of such innovations as iPhones, GPS navigation systems, and other breakthroughs that have greatly altered our lives and how we perceive the world. However, with a heavy emphasis on "Going Green" and saving the environment, I believe we may see a rise in eco-literature in the near future. For now, however we are very un-nature literate, in my mind.

No comments: