Sunday, November 22, 2009

On Grizzly Man

Werner Herzog's documentary about the life and death of bear enthusiast Timothy Treadwell was simply amazing. I like the way Herzog incorporated Treadwell's footage of the bears to show how Treadwell interacted with them. I also liked how Herzog video taped people's opinions of Treadwell. I wanted to cry when the medical examiner explained Treadwell's death in great detail. Werner Herzog captured every essence of Timothy Treadwell in the "Grizzly Man", showing Treadwell at his best and worst moments.
When I found out that Timothy Treadwell lived among the bears for 13 summer's with no protective gear or weapons, I honestly thought Timothy was crazy. Who would really want to live among dangerous animals without protection? Timothy Treadwell did. In the documentary, Treadwell expressed his love for the bears. They were his friends. He sounded crazy but I respected the way he expressed his love for the bears. He vowed not to hurt them. He wanted to protect them from the hunters and help them get food when there was a decline in rain fall. He truly cared for these animals but they didn't care about him. He seemed to lose touch of reality when he dealt with the bears. He was living in la-la land with these bears forgetting that in any moment they could attack him. He said, "I love these bears, I would die for these bears." He loved the bears and died for the bears. It was sad how he died but I honestly believe he didn't fight back. He didn't want to harm the bear even if he was being harmed and I respect him for that.
Timothy Treadwell's perception of nature and wild animals was inspiring. I smiled every time he called the bears and fox his friend. He said, "I'm a spirit of the forest," and he truly was. Werner Herzog's perception of nature and wild animals seemed to be some-what similar to Treadwell's. I think Herzog agreed with Treadwell's opinions but not his tactics. In my opinion Herzog thought the bears and nature should be left alone. I think Treadwell was a eccentric and passionate man, whose mission in life was to protect the bears and I respect him for that.

No comments: