Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Human Animals/ Non-Human Animals


I believe that there are many differences between human animals and non- human animals. Human animals have a specific way of life, in which they work,read, go to school for example. Whereas, non- human animals are not concerned with all of these responsbilities. They have other responsibilites, such as having to be fit for survival, hunt food and so on. Non -human animals don't have to strive to reach their future goals in order to succeed which I believe makes the differnce between human animals and non- human animals.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with Sarah to certain extent however I feel like we as humans deem animals as less superior beings to justify our reasons for using them. I don't believe that we as humans are equals to other non-human animals but at the same time I cannot use this as an argument to justify the need to carry out certain animal experimentation. I do however believe that because people can gain from the usage of non-human animals which can be considered to be "speciesism" we justify this on the basis that we are more superior beings. Brody basically sums up what I think is the reason that we experiment on animals and that is because we “have an obligation to human beings as part of our special obligations to members of our species, to discount animal interests in comparison to human interests” (323).

David Budimir said...

While the author provides accurate real life examples of what separates human and non-human animals, I disagree that this is what separates the two categories. I believe that It is our ability to make decisions and our ability to determine the morality of those decisions that separates humans from animals. This notion is highlighted by R.G Frey when he writes "I do not see how a creature could have the concept of belief without being able to distinguish between true and false beliefs” It is a humans higher reasoning that gives us the ability to distinguish right from wrong. This is something that an animal is not capable of.