Saturday, November 15, 2008

Feminism... Not really Necessary

"I definitely think the rights of women are challenged in today’s society. Today women around the world, especially in third world countries are not treated in the same respect as men. I believe that women are just as capable as men but our society and our culture divert us from that fact. I am a feminist because I believe in equal rights for women."

I disagree with this argument because it implies that women continue to be in a certain status that is dramatically lower than men. I consider that today, women have gained such equality that in many ways they are considered to have the same opportunities as men. Arguing that women now are not equal to man symbolizes some kind of discrimination or feeling of superiority by men, who know work alongside women in jobs, sports, and schools. Feminist movements now are just an unnecessary extension of the women's movement in the 1900's. In my opinion, feminism has lost enough momentum and although it works as a way for women to maintain their rights, it is not really critic to promote movements like these. Specially in times were males and females accomplish the same goals and are able to achieve the same things from life.

No comments: