Tuesday, April 12, 2011

TWB#4 Nick Cooney's Presentation

After watching and listening to Nick Cooney's presentation I realized that I know very little about factory farming and its horrors. One very scary and interesting thing that I learned from the presentation was about gestational crates. These are tiny crates that pregnant pigs are forced to stay in throughout the duration of their pregnancy. I found this to be very sad and mean towards pigs. In many other countries they are outlawed. The enivornment was mentioned in the presentation and this was not only interesting but mind blowing. i couldnt believe that factory farming was harming our earth so much. Also Nick Cooney gave outstanding averages for the amount of animals that are held on most factory farms in America. He said that some factory farms have up to five hundred thousand chickens in one chicken house. This means that they are all cramped up together and very uncomfortable. The presentation was highly informative but at the same time I felt a bit sad because of the treatment given to these poor farm animals. I hope that things some day change.

No comments: