Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Why I Am Not a Feminist

www.dictionary.reference.com/browse/feminism


1.
the doctrine advocating social, political, and all other rights of women equal to those of men.
2.
(sometimes initial capital letter) an organized movement for the attainment of such rights for women.

By no stretch of the imagination am I trying to say that I do not believe in equal rights for both men and women. In my honest opinion, I think it is despicable that some women are still not receiving the same rights as a man, but I have to make clear that I am not a feminist. The definition for feminism leads me to believe that much of what it means to be a feminist has to do with how involved one is with the progression of women in our obviously male dominated society. I have never been in any organization, gone to any rally, or even attend any meetings that had anything to do with feminism. I believe women should have equal rights but that does not mean that I have to support only women. Myself being a man makes me want to continue having all the rights I have, but I do not want a women to push her way to having more power than me because of affirmative action. That my sound harsh but I mean no harm by it. I simply mean that I am a man that wants every person to be equal without having to push their way there, man or women.

No comments: