Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Third Places

There are two "third places" I have found in Philadelphia within the weeks we have been here, each of them defined by a certain level of comfortability. The first one is the crossroads on Liacouras walk, where you always see the hippie kids playing guitar. That group was started by a music theory student named John Shwartz. He and I instantly got along because we knew we something deeply in common with one another right from the moment we met. It was spontaneous and enlightening, and so I find myself frequenting that spot to meet new people and to play good music. My second "third place" is the fourth floor Lobby in the Whitehall dormitory. Hanging out in there is easy and fun because of the sense of companionship the new residents of Whitehall have already established. I love to talk to new people, and learn more about those who I have already met. Perhaps I will find more places like these; maybe I will find a theater group, or a new band to play in. Temple has so many more places and programs utilized for the betterment of our community, and I hope to become a part of more of them as the year paves its way.

No comments: