Monday, September 13, 2010

Third Place In My Life

The area of Philadelphia that I live in is very dangerous at times and it is gradually getting worse as the years go on. I have never really had a public place to go to that is near my house because my neighborhood is filled with intimidating people who, I'm sure, would have no qualms about starting something with a lone person walking the streets. Because I don't own a car, there's really no place that I can go to in my neighborhood just to get away from the stresses of everyday life.
If anything, I'd have to say that my friend's houses are the few places I can go to if I need some time to relax. I don't think anything could come closer to my "third place". Sitting on a porch with a group of four or five close friends is one of my favorite things about getting out of the house. We talk about what's going on in our lives, goof around, tell riddles that we've found over the week to test each others knowledge, take walks to Wawa, or sometimes we just go inside to play some video games. Though it sounds like a simple day in the average teen's life, it gives not only me, but all of us a chance to stop thinking about what kind of homework is due on Monday or what big test we have to study for and just talk. It only happens once (maybe twice) a month, but it's nice that we can all find the time to get together and be ourselves.
When some people need to relax or get away from it all, they find those quiet secluded places to go to or they go to bars or parties and have a good, loud, and merry time. The only thing that I'll ever really need to get away from my house, my work or my life in school is to have a conversation or two with a few good friends

No comments: