Monday, September 13, 2010

My Third Space.

For the past few days I wracked my brain for a third space in my life only to realize that I don't have one. There are plenty of lively and beautiful spots in and around campus that could qualify. However, none of them reach out to me. The only place that comes close to a third space is my vocal studio class. Even though it doesn't fit Oldenburg's criteria of a public space where people voluntarily go to socialize in, it offers me a place outside of my home and work to connect with others. It gives me and others a safe place to share with each other the most important part of our lives, our art. There we are able to learn from one another and grow not only as artists and musicians, but as people as well, which I believe is the entire point of a third space.

No comments: