Thursday, April 30, 2009

Blog 5

            This semester I have critiqued my writing more than I have in any previous class that required research and analysis for essay writing. My first essay for the class was initially subpar as it lacked focus and organization of ideas, which has always been my weak point. I struggled with using the sources to strengthen my paper as well as having the quotations flow with the essay and not just be shoved in some place. I quickly found out that my ennitial effort level in the course would not be satisfactory and I made an effort to prioritize with time management of my work. This what easier said than done, as I have yet to completely master the concept. However, I began to get into the habit of planning out my essays before I actually sat down and wrote them. This proved to be a useful decision as I ended up spending less and less time actually writing the essay because I had prepared a through outline in advance. I found that by spending small amounts of time in preparation for my essay, a while in advance, that I could actually spend less time on the entire essay. However, though my struggles with organization have lessened, I find that I continue to present my ideas as though I were speaking and not writing. In this aspect though, I have in a way found a style of writing that I am most comfortable with. Seeing as how the majority of the literature that I study is philosophy, I am accustomed to presenting ideas in writing in a more discursive and argumentative fashion. I found this to be most noticeable in the third essay I wrote about Man On Wire, where I took a direct stance against Petit and presented arguments and explanations for my reasoning. I would say that the third essay is the best example of how I have progressed as a writer this semester, as it demonstrates an organization of ideas as well as a clarity that lacks in the other arguments I have taken.

No comments: