Thursday, April 30, 2009

Blog 5

This year was an interesting year in developing my writing skills. Starting with English 701 was a great way illuminate that I had no idea what I was doing when I was writing. 701 helped to create a structure for my writing, but I needed more guidance to actually be able to write. I came into this course thinking that I could write like the rest of them, but from simply having my peers read my work in a workshop convinced me otherwise. I had never experienced a workshop that was aimed at improving papers. Honestly I never had edited a single paper in my past classes, so editing was a whole new topic for me. After writing my first paper and going to my first workshop, I was convinced that I didn't have to edit. I took my horrible first draft paper into my conference draft and that was the point when I realized that I needed guidance in writing. I actually took my paper back and edited it for the first time ever. When writing my second and third papers, I thought that I had mastered the concept of writing, but that is exactly what I was missing and it took me until my fourth paper to realize it. I put the most time and effort that I had ever put in any paper i've ever written. I actually researched, I actually took notes and read, and I actually had positive results. Regardless of what grade I receive on my portfolio, my fourth paper was the paper alone that opened up my eyes to writing. I realized that I am not perfect and that neither is anybody else, so revising is essential in writing a paper. I'm just very surprised that it took me until my freshman year of college to realize this. From what i've learned this year, and in this course specifically, I will use my knowledge to continue improving my writing skills. I may never be a master of writing, but I will know exactly how to be one. 

No comments: