Monday, April 26, 2010

Course Reflection

How have the readings, writings, and research you conducted this semester developed your appreciation for and understanding of some of the ethical issues and dilemmas regarding human-animal relations? Cite at least two texts to illustrate your points.


The readings, writings, and research I conducted this semester have changed my view of the ethical issues and dilemmas regarding human-animal relations. By reading and analyzing the assigned texts, I have been able to take a different view on animals in general. I have more sympathy for animals in testing after reading about unnecessary testing that is performed on animals, causing them pain, suffering, and even death. I agree with this statement from The Animal Ethics Reader:“If we are to use animals for our benefit, it is morally incumbent upon us to make sure that they benefit as well, by at least living decent lives, not lives of misery, fear, and pain”(Rollin, 258). Although I don't think animals should have equal rights as humans, I do believe that they should be treated better by humans. I also learned about the harms of factory farming and meat eating to animals and the environment. I was surprised to hear that “...our food choices contribute at least as much as our transportation choices to global warming ... farmed animals contribute more to climate change than transport”(Safran Foer, 58), but now that I know the harmful effects of eating meat, I can try to cut back. After taking this class, I have more of an understanding of human-animal relations, and more of an appreciation for animals.


What writing skills have you acquired through your readings, writings, and research this semester?


Through my readings, writings, and research this semester, I have acquired many skills. I have learned how to embed quotes into my papers and how to cite in MLA format, how. I also learned how to better analyze readings and how to organize my thoughts with the information I read in order to write a convincing paper. I learned how to write persuasive essays and was introduced to new techniques such as introducing the counter argument first, then arguing against it. I learned how to use the Temple libraries in order to do outside research. Overall, I perfected many skills in researching, writing, and reading this semester.

No comments: