Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Course Reflection

The readings for the class and the research I conducted thoroughly helped me understand and appreciate the dilemma of human-animal relations. I really never thought about human-animal relations in the ways I was asked to in class, except for the parts about animal companions. Tom Regan's idea of moral agents and moral patients really convinced me on a philosophical level about humanity's moral duty towards animals. "In contrast to moral agents, moral patients lack the prerequisites that would enable them to control their own behavior in ways that would make them morally accountable for what they do" (Regan 19). Although it was necessary for me to be convinced on a logical front, Josephine Donovan's essay really allowed me to take another perspective on the animal ethics issue. She taught me that you cannot just think because you also need to feel. Donovan notes that humans must "pay attention to-listen to- animal communications and construct a human ethic in conversation with the animals rather than imposing on them a rationalistic, calculative grid or humans' own monological construction" (Donovan 48).
Also, I learned quite a lot about myself as a writer during this semester and I acquired some new skills along the way. The most important thing I progressed at in English 802, as opposed to English 701, was my ability to effectively use citations. I had always had trouble finding a concrete quote that would enhance my argument. My quotes just wouldn't flow into the paragraph before, but now I can introduce a source with ease. Through the readings I developed a precise skill in analyzing a scholarly essay and taking what I need from it. The essays were very long and hard to read, but I eventually found some tricks to better my understanding of each literary piece. My style also improved this semester. Every single essay I wrote would be written in a boring monotone that was very different from my personality and ability. This year I added in some intelligent words and complex sentence structures to add some spice to my papers. Overall, this semester was a success as it pertains to my English career.

No comments: