Monday, April 26, 2010

Course Reflection

How have the readings, writings, and research you conducted this semester developed your appreciation for and understanding of some of the ethical issues and dilemmas regarding human-animal relations? Cite at least two texts to illustrate your points.

The readings, writings, and research I have done this semester have completely changed my view of human-animal relations. Before this class, I did not realize how much animal ethics played a role in our society. I had never really thought too much in detail about how animal ethics plays a role in our society. However, many reading from The Animal Ethics Reader have brought this topic into perspective for me. After reading about all the pain and suffering that animals endure for testing purposes, I am now strongly against the practices of the bio-medicine industry. I agree with Peter Singer's statement that "If a being suffers, there can be no moral justification for refusing to take that suffering into consideration," (37). People who perform painful experiments on animals do not take their suffering into consideration. Animals can feel the same pain as humans, so there is simply no reason to ignore their suffering. In addition to animal experimentation, I also learned a great deal about factory farms. I was completely unaware of how horrible these animals are treated behind closed doors. "According to the National Chicken Council...about 180 million chickens are improperly slaughtered each year," (Foer, 133). This number is staggering to me. I had always assumed that the slaughter of animals was performed properly to alleviate substantial suffering, but this is obviously not the case. The readings in this class have greatly improved my understanding of human-animal relations in a variety of contexts.

What writing skills have you acquired through your readings, writings, and research this semester?

I have learned a number of new writing skills through my coursework this semester. I feel as if I can write a more convincing, persuasive essay after this class. One aspect that I think really makes a paper strong is the idea of giving your opponent a nod. Bringing in counter-arguments was something that I never would have used before this class, but now I can see how to make it useful in my essays. Another thing that has stuck with me is the Point, Illustrate, Explain (PIE) concept. This really helps me structure my paragraphs throughout an essay. Overall, I feel like I can write a better essay for an audience thanks to what I've learned this semester.

No comments: