Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Course Reflection

As this semester comes to an end, I have definitely been able to reflect on the assignments and readings that I have completed. This course has brought upon me a different level of understanding and awareness to my eating habits. Before this class, I never paid attention to where my food comes from, what factory farms were, and the effects on the environment from animal food production. For instance, Foer states, “Animal agriculture is responsible for 37 percent of anthropogenic methane, which offers twenty-three times the global warming potential (GWP) of CO2" (58), and there were other greenhouse gas emissions that he listed. All which make meat eaters more hazardous to the environment than vegans, according to Foer. That is just one thing I learned. Learning how factory farms operate was the most lucrative part of my learning experience in this course. I definitely would like to start buying food that do not come from animals in factory farms, because I believe supporting those intuitions are unethical. I love meat and dairy products, now that would never change, but where I buy my food can and hopefully my small change can help make a difference one day. As far as my writing techniques are concerned, this class was absolutely a learning experience in that aspect. I learned to integrate my quotes better and have my sources build a conversation throughout my paper. Not one English professor or teacher in my past has asked me to make my quotes talk to each other and build the basis of my paper for me. I usually dropped a quote, explained it, then moved on, but referring back to them to work with another quote was a very good technique to consider. Thank you Dr. Featherstone, your class was tough to an extent but it was worth the work.

No comments: