Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Enviornment

In my own essay entitiled “The way I see you, see me”, I expanded my thoughts to correlate the way two authors viewed human animal relationships. As I was writing my essay I couldn’t help but think about all the looks I give my dog and the expressions that I try to read on her face. I couldn’t help but think about John Berger’s book About looking when he stated,
The eyes of an animal when they consider a man are attentive and wart. The same animal may well look at other species in the same way. He does not reserve a special look for man. But by no other species except man will the animal’s look be recognized as familiar. (5)
This statement meant a lot to me, because I recalled the looks that I would receive from my dog at home and think to myself oh I know she is happy because her tail is wagging and she has that wine in her voice, and that eager look on her face just waiting for someone to pet her.
This made me realize that I may or may not have had an effect on my dog as her characteristics are concerned. When comparing her personality to her environment one could state that yes she is hyper because her owner is hyper (me), but based on outside information on beagles, I already know that they are genuinely happy dogs. They get excited very easily and are every friendly to humans and other dogs.
Based on this discovery I can say I believe in some of the things Berger is suggesting, such as the fake environment that my pet is placed in. The suburban area with a routine everyday; wake up, go out, eat, go for a walk, sleep all day, go for a walk, eat, go out, sleep. This daily repetition must have some effects on her, she doesn’t see other dogs unless she is out on a walk, and she doesn’t get as much exercise as she needs. On the other hand I do not agree with him. Animals do have personalities and do not necessarily pick them up form their owners, it is quite possible that I made a clever choice in choosing a pet that is similar to me.

No comments: