Friday, December 4, 2009

Environment

(Option 2)

This semester I have learned a lot about the environment. I never gave nature and the environment any thought but during the course of this semester I have had time to process my own perception of the environment and nature. The first essay topic: Space and Place, really changed m perception of the environment. After reading Elijah Anderson's essay, "The Social Ecology of Youth Violence" I was fascinated with Philadelphia and the people who live here; simply because I'm not from this area. When Anderson talked about his interview with Old-head, Mr. Don Moses, I was stunned by the reality of the situation: living in Germantown. “Keep your eyes and ears open at all times. Walk two steps forward and look back. Watch your back. Prepare yourself verbally and physically. Even if you have a cane, carry something. The older people do carry something, guns in sheaths. They can’t physically fight no more so they carry a gun” (75, Anderson). Could it really be that bad in Germantown? In my home environment in Lorton,VA, I've always felt safe. There's no need to carry a gun or watch your back. In my environment everyone goes to college and will probably do something amazing with their lives. But in Germantown the kids barely attend school and a small percentage of them will go to college. So I learned, your environment does affect your behavior. I didn't notice till I read Anderson's essay and looked around me as I walked around Philadelphia. I've noticed how my behavior has changed from care-free in Lorton, VA to more attentive in Philadelphia, PA. It's natural to do so. Elijah Anderson would say, "It's just the code of the street." I've learned a lot this semester but this is the one thing that changed my view of the environment. Thanks Dr. F:)


No comments: