Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Environment

I have always known that the environment each person is in has an effect on them, but throughtout this class I have learned how strong of an impact it truly has. African American writer, Langston Hughes seems to understand this feeling in his poem, "Theme for English B." In his writing, he is speaking to his Caucasian professor. He says, "You are white-yet a part of me, as I am a part of you." That's American Sometimes perhaps you don't want to be a part of me. Nor do I often want to be a part of you. But we are, that's true" (41). I love this quote because it shows that you might not always be able to chose your envirmonment or control how it affects you, but it is inevitable that your environment will have an impact on you. Writing our first essay was challenging to me because it was the most personal. I focused on urban environment and I was intrigued to analyze how it affected myself, as well as other authors. I enjoyed Langston's poem because I feel that analyzing and verbalizing one's self is one of the hardest tasks to do. In his paper while defining himself to his teacher, Hughes got to say things he might never been able to express on his own. I have learned a great deal from this class, but personally the texts on urban nature had the most impact on me and my outlook on environment.

No comments: