Wednesday, December 2, 2009

On Environment

John Berger's essay "Why Look at Animals" had influenced me most throughout the semester. He gives his perception on Zoos, and how they are marginalizing animals all over the world. His essay really made me wonder why zoos were started in the first place. I don't think animals should be rendered to such a small environment. Berger's example of this struck me the most. He describes how most animals in the zoo tend to crouch to the outside of their cage. This shows that most zoo animals want no part in this environment that they live in. I believe that every animal should be left in their natural habitats. Is there anything positive coming from zoos? They are used as a source of entertainment, but people should open their eyes and look at what these zoos are doing. After reading Berger's essay, I changed my whole perspective on zoos, and now I see them as nothing but jail cells.

No comments: