Tuesday, December 1, 2009

on Grizzly Man

I found Werner Herzog's film “Grizzly Man” very interesting. Initially I found Timothy Treadwell to be irritating, however after I had seen enough footage I had gained a better understanding of where he was coming from. I do have to agree with Herzog that Treadwell took some magnificent footage of the wildlife of Alaska. Treadwell does capture the beauty of all the life around him. There are somethings he did that I found odd, in particular when he arranged the stream to make a clearer path for the salmon making it easier for the bears to catch the fish. I was always taught that we shouldn't mess with the balance of the ecosystem for other animals. I know he said that his quick transitions from being up and down where a part of who he was, but I found it distracting on some levels. Although it is interesting to see the contrast between natures calmness and his explosion of emotions.

No comments: