Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Human / Non-Human Animals

In my opinion I guess one of the main things that probably separates Humans from other Animals is the use of technology by the Human species. The development of this technology has over time continued to set us further and further apart from all the other life which occupies this earth. I feel that there are more similarities between humans and other Animals such as systems of language, intelligence, curiosity, the ability to learn, the ability to feel pain, and to feel emotions both positive and negative. I am not against technology but I believe that it can be a very destructive force I.E. global warming, Nuclear weapons / warfare, Factory farms / genetic engineering, etc.

1 comment:

Edward. Dolinish said...

I disagree with this post that technology is one of the main points that separates humans from other animals. It does separate humans from animals, but i can't agree on the basis of your beliefs because you feel that humans and animals are more-so connected by "language, intelligence, curiosity, the ability to learn". I feel in order to have advanced technology those are the main differences that separate human animals from non-human animals. I feel that you might be for Tom Regan because he gives the benefit of the doubt to animals also, Regan states "Moral agents are individuals who have a variety of sophisticated abilities."(19) He explains that some animals have the ability to have "desires and beliefs, who perceive, remember, and can act intentionally". (19) I guess it all depends on how you look at things, but if technology is to separate human from animals, then languages, intelligence levels,and brain capacities should not be similar to humans. Otherwise animals would probably be able to blog about the same topics that we are blogging about today.