Monday, October 27, 2008

Why I am a feminist

Feminism: belief in the social, political, and economic equality of the sexes.


According to dictionary.com, feminism is the belief in social, political and economic equality of the sexes. Although I feel like I hold a stand and believe in both positions, I see myself more in a feminist view. I feel as though in today’s society, there still is inequality evident with gender. I think everyone should be treated fairly but because of societal norms, women are still treated unfairly and men are seen as the higher gender, being able to get away with things women normally wouldn’t. A double standard is also still evident in many situations because what women do is more heavily accounted for. Years have passed and people’s mentalities have changed but the underlining expectations and still prominent for women.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/feminism

No comments: