Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Why I am a Feminist

"In the most basic sense, feminism is exactly what the dictionary says it is: the movement for social, political, and economic equality of men and
So, a feminist would be someone who encourages the movement to make men and women equal.
When I went searching for a comprehensible meaning to the term feminist, I didn't expect the definition that I found.(see above) The main reason for this is that I previously believed that among rationale individuals there were those who were feminists and those who were not. However, using the basic definition I found it would be difficult to say that any rationale person, including myself, could say that they were not a feminist. The misconception I had previously was that a feminist was someone who thought that females were superior to males or someone who is against men. That is obviously not the case and is simply a fallacy brought on via incorrect use of the term over the several centuries that it has been a part of our lexis. If the definition I discovered through my research is correct, and that a feminist is, in the broadest sense of the term, someone who simply believes that men and women should be equal in all sociopolitical aspects, as well as in any way that there is an unfair burden on women founded on any chauvinistic ideology, than yes, I am a feminist.

No comments: