Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Why I Am Not a Feminist

Feminism is defined as the advocacy of womens rights. This implies that women and men have been placed in different social perspectives from ages. Women have not been given equal status in areas that have been conventionally considered as a part of the domain of men.

http://www.encyclocentral.com/21479-Definition_Of_Feminism_Political_Social_Economical_Equality_Of_Women.html

According to the above definition I would not consider myself a feminist. The main reason I say this is because the definition says that feminism is "the advocacy of womens rights" and although I can support womens rights I do not advocate it. I do not advocate womens rights because I am not trying to influence or speak out for the cause. I agree with the fact that women and men have been seperated in society for many years and have the right to fight for their equal rights. I support people standing up for their rights and am against treating women as less than men just based on their sex. I disagree on the part of the definition that says women have not been given equal status in areas that have been conventionally considered as a part of the domain of men because women have gained the same rights as men and now can do most of the same jobs as them and are not limited anymore by gender. I guess in some ways I do agree with feminism and maybe by another definition I could say I am a feminist but by this one I am not because of the advocacy part of it.

No comments: