Monday, October 27, 2008

Why I am a Feminist

Definition: A feminist is someone who is accepted as a feminist by other feminists.
Feminism is the things that feminists do, say, and stand for, which cause them to be accepted as feminists by other feminists.

According to this definition and this article feminism is basically what is said. It is the idea that women are people. If that is the only qualification to be considered a feminist, that women are to be classified as a person, then yes I would have to consider myself a feminist, because women are alive and they are people plain and simple.
Real feminist according to this article is that they support all marginalized groups and all women. Feminist main focus is on the rights of women. They are organized in large numbers in order to be recognized and gain the acceptance for women in all aspects of society. A real feminism does not argue for women that would be considered an extreme feminist, considering the fact that I previously stated that feminist fight for all marginalized groups and certainly men can be placed into a category of marginalized.
So there are both feminist and extreme feminist. I for one support the efforts of feminist to be treated equally and be respected and acknowledged for their hard work. However I am in no means an extreme feminist that is completely against all males because in their eyes men are evil. I am a man and I do not considered myself to be evil so therefore I am not an extreme feminist.

http://www.feministcritics.org/blog/2007/11/02/kiukus-definition-of-feminism/

No comments: