Tuesday, October 28, 2008

"Why I Am Not A Feminist"

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/feminism

fem⋅i⋅nism
   /ˈfɛməˌnɪzəm/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [fem-uh-niz-uhm] Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun
1. the doctrine advocating social, political, and all other rights of women equal to those of men.
2. (sometimes initial capital letter) an organized movement for the attainment of such rights for women.

Based on the definition of feminism, I do not see myself as a feminist. When I think of a feminist, I think of someone overwhelmed with the equal or unfair rights that women have. But when I read the definition, it is not that it is an overwhelming thought for women, it explains that feminists are a group of people, similar to religion or political group, who study and go about bringing up women’s rights to others. By not being a feminist, I go about my day taking on the events that take place, not spending a minute thinking or pondering on the rights women have. Also, I do not participate in any “organized movements for the attainment of such rights for women.” I do not take part in “advocating [the] social, political, and all other rights of women equal to those of men.” Being a feminist requires one to have a strong feeling towards women’s rights and do something about it, whether it is taking part of an organized movement or anything else to change the minds of those in charge of our individual rights; it does not mean to just believe in them. I believe in women having equal rights as men, but I do not stress on the fact and carry out my feelings towards the issue. Maybe if I was a woman, I would have different feelings about the rights of women, but even then I do not think I would participate in group meetings and activities to change how others looked at the situation.


- Cory Goulet

No comments: