Monday, October 27, 2008

Why I am a feminist

Feminism: Belief in the social, political, and economic equality of the sexes

http://www.answers.com/topic/feminism
I am a feminist because I feel that men and women should be treated equally in all ways possible. Socially, politically, and economically, there should be no difference between males and females in our society. Femininity and masculinity are both a type of mindset that have no real bearing on you or your sex when you are born. They are characteristics which are taught to you by society starting from birth. Feminism fights that mindset, challenging the norm and changing the way you think about males and females. I think that the goal of feminism is not so much to bring females up from an oppressed position, or to bring males down from the position of the oppressor, but to bring them together on an equal footing as people in a society. In that sense I am a feminist.

No comments: