Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Course Reflection

How have the readings, writings, and research you conducted this semester developed your appreciation for and understanding of some of the ethical issues and dilemmas regarding human-animal relations? Cite at least two texts to illustrate your points.

Before this semester, I had never given much thought to issues pertaining to animal ethics.

Over the course of the semester, I took issue with several authors, such as Bernard E. Rollin, who called animals “the weakest and most disenfranchised part of human society.” (Rollin 250) There were several essays that were difficult to read because I can think of many minorities who are just as disenfranchised, if not more so, than most non-human animals are. Plus, I already take issue with comparing oppressions that various human minorities experience for many complex reasons.

However, I was eventually swayed by Jonathan Safran Foer's arguments. I have read, and loved, his other books (Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close was my favorite) and I always enjoy reading a book by a good writer.
In addition to his highly readable prose, I appreciated the fact that Foer argued his case by discussing the animals themselves. I don't even see the need to compare non-human animals and humans: it actually weakens the argument for me by implying that one needs to compare to humans to make issues pertaining to non-human animals “matter” somehow.
One passage that caused me to stop and reflect is when Foer asks: “Is caring to know about the treatment of farmed animals a confrontation with the facts about the animals and ourselves or an avoidance of them? Is arguing that a sentiment of compassion should be given greater value than a cheaper burger (or a burger at all) an expression of emotion and impulse or an engagement with reality and our moral intuitions?” (Foer 74) When I stopped to think about it, this is true.
As he went on to talk about factory farming, I suddenly found that meat was a little less appetizing. So I guess I am thinking more consciously about what I eat.


What writing skills have you acquired through your readings, writings, and research this semester?

Well. I am in a unique situation in the sense that I was an English major at a highly selective liberal arts college for two years before I transferred to Temple. I have done research-intensive papers before about really obscure topics. In fact, I tried to get out of this class because it's an intro class, but I wasn't able to do so.

However, I do feel Dr. Featherston has helped me to regain some of my excitement for learning. Before this course, I was really burned out on humanities - I felt that, if I heard the word “ontology” one more time, I would scream. I especially did not want to read or talk about ethics because of its highly abstract nature.

Now, though, I feel like I'm getting back to my roots as a lit geek and remembering the importance of integrating theory into action. I'm really glad that I was able to transfer from a different Intro to English class into this one. It was really nice to be challenged in class so that I could work on my writing in a meaningful way instead of doing busywork.

No comments: