Monday, April 26, 2010

Course Reflection

Overall, the readings, writings, and research that I conducted this semester helped me to see some the major issues that are going on with animal ethics. I never really knew that this was such a big issue until this English class and I am grateful that I now know some of the facts. I appreciated reading “Eating Animals” by Jonathon Safron Foer because I now know that by not eating animals anymore I am helping the environment because “the livestock sector is responsible for 18 percent of greenhouse gas emissions.” In addition, I am glad that I learned about the value of zoos and how they are unethical and unfair to animals because I never would have thought that before learning about animal welfare in this class. As Dale Jamieson states in his article “Against Zoos,” “Zoos teach us a false sense of our place in the natural order,” a statement that made me against the idea of zoos as a whole.
I feel that my writing is more organized and overall I have become better at using texts effectively within a certain work. I think that I have a better sense of what I am capable of doing as a writer and I know that my future writing experiences will be easier because of the overall skills I have gained from this class.

No comments: