Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Factory Farm Presentation

After listening to Nick Cooney's very interesting and informative presentation about factory farms and the harsh conditions it presents for animals and the environment, I decided to reduce my own animal consumption. I found the veal crates to be the most disturbing treatment out of all the animals. I had no clue that they were chained by their necks and kept in small cages for the sole purpose of reducing muscle development and being tender to consume. Also, it was very disturbing to learn that they are only given liquid diets so that they are iron and fiber deficient. The amount of water used for small amounts of meat and the amount of animals that the average human consumes caused me to want to alter or monitor my own diet more. Along with helping global warming and reducing water overusage, I would consume less fat by eating less meat products. This presentation was very enlightening and everyone should have access to this knowledge as a consumer in America today.

No comments: