Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Course Reflection

The readings, writing, and research that I conducted this semester helped to further develop my appreciation for and understanding of some of the ethical issues and dilemmas regarding human-animal relations. Before this class, I never even thought about the relationship between human and animals. All I thought was that humans rule the planet, and animals just do what we want. That was very arrogant for me to think. It was Tom Regan's "The Case for Animal Rights," that first made me realize that there was more to the human-animal relationship. Regan describes the differences between animals and humans. He states that "moral agents are individuals who have a variety of sophisticated abilities, including in particular the ability to bring impartial moral principles to bear on the determination of what, all considered, morally ought to be done..." (19). Regan also describes what a moral patient is. According to him, "moral patients lack the prerequisites that would enable them to control their own behavior in ways that would make them morally accountable for what they do" (19). These two types describe humans and animals. Humans are moral agents, and animals are moral patients. To a certain extent, it is our duty as humans to care for and protect moral patients (animals). In "Practical Ethics," Peter Singer states that "the fact that beings are not members of our own species does not entitle us to exploit them" (36). He is saying that as moral agents, we can not exploit moral patients simply because they are not members of our own species. Both Regan and Singer have given me an insight on the ethics and logic regarding human interactions with animals. They both have taught me to not be arrogant, and to be more understanding to other species.
Through out the semester, I have learned how to revise, revise, revise. Before coming to Temple, I would only write one draft of a paper. I would never write multiple drafts and take the time to revise them in between. From this class, I have learned that continual revision can help you tremendously.



No comments: