Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Course Reflection

Before this English 802 class I wasn't completely ignorant of the types of cruelty in which farm animals go through to become our food. A good portion of my friends are either vegetarian or vegan and they have always made sure that I know what I am eating when I choose to eat a cheeseburger or a chicken sandwich. However, this class has really made me even more aware of my interactions with animals and how greatly I, as well as humans in general, am affected by animals every single day. While the Animal Ethics Reader seems daunting to read because of the multiple authors and thickness of the anothology, it is filled with vast amounts of information on several topics varying from animal testing, and animals as food, to zoos and aquariums. This text has broadend my perspective on all the topics we've discussed in this class. Also, the informative book Eating Animals by Jonathon Safran Foer has given a personal perspective to the issue of factory farming and his own ideas and veiws on the issue. Because Foer gives his personal opinions along with massive amounts of facts - from research which he has personally done -his book has really made me think about and question my own ideas of how I interact with the animals in my life.

I definitely do not consider myself an excelent writer, in fact English is probably my least favorite subject. With this being said, I was very surprised to find that this English 802 class was my favorite class this semester. The texts we read were filled with information which definitely peaked my interest, the discussions we held in class were some of the best I've had in an academic setting, and the assignments we were required to do throughout the semester helped my writing and comprehension skills tremendously.

No comments: