Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Course Reflection

The readings, writings, and research I have completed this semester have changed my outlook on eating certain foods that consist of animal products. The class has really opened my eyes to stuff that I never really put much thought into. The first day of class I was thinking to myself “How can animal ethics play such an important role in my life?” However I realize throughout this course that it actually does. After reading about all the torture animals have to go through I have questioned myself as why I am an omnivore. Before this class my mentality was to eat anything and not ask any questions about the particular food I am consuming. Since then I have to agree with Regan’s statement that “We are to treat those individuals who have inherent value in ways that respect their inherent value” (23). At first I did not really care for the animal advocates or pro bio-medicine industry because I feel as if I was in the neutral area. After watching the Earthlings movie it really shocked me because I did not know it would be so graphic in showing how the animals were being slaughtered one by one. I understood animals were being killed however I never fully comprehended how extreme it was until the movie was finished. After reading Eating Animals I realize that nowadays animals are being treated very cruelly. Foer says defines the term cruelty best when he states “Not only the willful causing of unnecessary suffering, but the indifference to it” (53).

I have learned a few good techniques I could use in the future of my college career. The good thing about these new techniques I have acquired is the fact that I can use them in all my classes that I am required to write in not just English. I believe I can write a more believable and persuasive essay after taking this course. I also feel as though I can comprehend the readings way more than I have my previous English classes. On a whole, I feel like I really benefited by staying in this course and doing all my work.

No comments: