Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Course Reflection

This semester in English 802, I have learned a great deal about the ethics of animals. Every reading assignment was very inspirational and will shape my life from here on out. Before this class I never thought of the intensity and pain that animals go through. I loved animals but never did I know or think to wanna know the ethics behind animals. The anthology The Animal Ethics Reader, was filled with plenty of essays that helped me learn. For example, I never really thought about the logic and the meaning behind zoos until I read Dale Jamison's essay "Against Zoos" in this anthology. It helped me become understanding of the things we do not see or hear about the intent behind zoos. Also, the anthology had me consider the thought of animal experimentation. It made me come to the consensus that animal experimentation can be morally wrong. The same goes to eating animals. It is wrong for putting these animals through pain just to supply food but only difference is I probably would not stop eating meat but just eat meat less.
The writing skills I have acquired are the ideas of when writing I should always create a counterargument to further prove my point/thesis. Also, to cite plenty of sources to help create these counterarguments.

No comments: