Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Factory Farm Presentation

Nick Cooney's presentation in class today was very enlightening. I have honestly never taken the time to actually watch a film that exposed the housing methods of factory farm animals. It was very depressing to know that all male baby chicks were thrown away after birth instead of possibly being sent out to a poultry farm that raised them for food or sold to people who would sell them in a market. I also had no idea that female pigs used for breeding were kept in gestation crates to do nothing but have piglets over and over agian. I couldnt believe that they were not allowed to move around at all. That veal was bred to not have any protien or muscle developlment so that the meat would be tender (by the way I would never eat veal, ever!). Cooney's presentation was entirely suprising to a great extent, and I cannot believe how ignorant I was to the matter of factory farms before his presentation.

No comments: