Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Course Reflection

How have the readings, writings, and research you conducted this semester developed your appreciation for and understanding of some of the ethical issues and dilemmas regarding human-animal relations? Cite at least two texts to illustrate your points.

The reading, writings, and research that I have done this semester have molded and shaped my opinions on ethical issues dealing with animal and human relations. The Animal Ethics Reader stated various facts that have changed my mind, and one author that had a large impact was Peter Singer. I never really considered anything to be wrong with the biomedical research field until the ethical implication came into play. I found it stupid that many authors argued that animals do not feel pain to the same extent as humans. In my opinion they most certainly do, and I think Singer explains it best when he states that "If a being suffers, there can be no moral justification for refusing to take that suffering into consideration," (37). No matter what the reason a human should not test on animals, especially when the animal species itself is gaining nothing out of it. Also factory farming was something that i learned a great deal about. Foer explains quite well that not only are animals are suffering but humans will as well since "farmed animals contribute more to climate change than transport”(58). As the human species we must realize the consequences of our actions and being taking the proper steps to rectify these wrongs.


What writing skills have you acquired through your readings, writings, and research this semester?

I personally believe that the main writing skill I learned this semester is how to back up and argument as strongly as possible. I learned to clarify everything that i argue to the full extent in order to not allow anyone to be able to argue any loose ends. I believe this made me a stronger writer since it not only increases my point, but also makes it harder for the other side to argue.


No comments: