Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Course Reflection

To say that this course hasn't effected me at all, would be a bold face lie. Not only was this English class my only interesting class, it effected me in numerous ways. I have never been in a class where I have had to develop my opinions so vividly. Not only was I forced to learn the skill of critically writing with scholarly sources, I now have a new outlook on the ethical world of animals in our society. From having to explain why I viewed animals as a lesser being, to rationalizing why I actually consume animal flesh, this course has attempted and started to make me view my entire relationship with all animals in a new way. Hearing opposing view points from famous writers like Peter Singer and Tom Regan was fascinating. Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer is probably the text that I can say honestly changed me. This book came so full circle for me, and was a perfectly fitting end to the class. It encompassed everything we had learned and discussed through out the course and really drove home the point that I had been contemplating the entire semester. We are the enemy, not the animals, and if we don't change quickly, we won't have anything left on this earth to change.

No comments: