Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Factory Farm Presentation

Surprisingly enough what I found most interesting about Nick Cooney's presentation on the humane treatment of farming animals, was not about the treatment of the animals. What intrigued me was the bit about how by eating farming animals such as chickens, cows, and pigs, we contribute to Global Warming. When he first announced this fact I thought he meant that products that the farmers may use are harmful to the earth. Never would I have thought that what he actually meant was farming animals, when they "fart" release a gas called methane which is actually more harmful than carbon monoxide. He went on to further explain that animal agriculture actually makes up twenty percent of the causes of Global Warming. Wow I knew that "farting" was not polite but who knew that when some non-human animals released their gasses it was harmful to the environment. Very interesting.

No comments: